Re: Incorrect reply address

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 10:20:18AM -1000, Tim Burgess wrote:
> The fix was to add the following to the preferences.js file
> user_pref("mail.suppress_sender_header", true);

I believe there is a menu in the preferences to change your email address as
well, but I am not sure of what exactly you're talking about since I havent
use ns mailer for about 2 years.

> A script I wrote recently to mail out results to students
> using a command-line mail "mail bilbo@tolkien.net < message"
> to my horror, also incorrectly deduced my email address. The
> poor guy who has this address has started receiving all
> my student replies...
>
> So, how can you set the correct "From" field or suppress
> it altogether using the command-line mailer....

I dont think there is a setting to change that in mail... you have to
configure your MTA to use the correct address. For exim the easiest way is to
use the sample rule at the end of exim.conf, the problem is that it is not
convenient for users to change their address. qmail uses the MAILHOST and
MAILUSER variables, see the faq. Also, some mailers (but not mailx) use the
REPLYTO variable for that header, some might work in batch mode.

If you're only making one script and you dont feel like configuring the mta
you can also pipe data thru the sendmail wrapper (every mta installs one,
usually under /usr/sbin/sendmail) where you can specify the Reply-To header...

-Lex