RE: pcmcia net card does not show up in "ifconfig" listing.

On 04-Oct-99 Hugo van der Merwe wrote:

>#! /bin/sh
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.0
>
> Needless to say, it doesn't do much... but it is identical to the script
> on the other laptop. Clearly the pcmcia stuff is not found in that
> script.
>
> /etc/init.d/pcmcia start  does not solve the problem either. sum pcmcia
> and cksum pcmcia gives the same result on both laptops, so I assume the
> scripts are identical, so the fault is not in that script either. Most of
> the configuration stuff for pcmcia seems to be in /etc/pcmcia. Shall I
> start comparing files in that directory?

I have had similar problems with my laptop, and I added
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.11 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add 192.168.1.11 dev eth0

to my /etc/init.d/network script and that took care of it.

Whenever I upgrade Debian, the PCMCIA stuff stops working, and I make a new
PCMCIA modules package and install it and that fixes the problem.

--
Andrew