Re: equivs problem

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 04:56:16PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:
> I am trying to install some new deb packages and I am using a *fake* qt1g
> package which I made with the equivs utility.  Geheimnis will not upgrade
> because the version of qt I have (the fake) is too new.  I have never seen
> this problem before.  Anyone know how I can fix it?

The problem is that the Debian package version you are using is actually
less than the version of your package.

> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of geheimnis:
>  geheimnis depends on qt1g (>= 1:1.44-6); however:

Note the leading "1:" - that is signifigant in the version number.  Any
package lacking such a part in the version number (known as an epoch) is
treated as having epoch 0.

>   Version of qt1g on system is 2.99.

This package has no epoch number, so its version number less than that
of the official package.  If you add an epoch to your fake package
everything should work as planned.

Epochs exist to allow maintainers to recover from mistakes in package
numbering: by adding an epoch you can reset the version numbering
without using some contorted translation mechanism.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/