Re: apt: how to avoid double downloads ?

If you've got some disk-space which can be shared between the two
machines (NFS mount, Jaz/Zip drive, etc.) you could try using apt-move,
which was recently installed into potato.  It can migrate the
downloaded debfiles into the proper hierarchy, and generate the
required control files, to allow apt to process them as a local mirror
during subsequent runs.