Re: weird xmms behavior

I'm not seeing anything like that here... running potato with kernel
2.2.12, gnome, and AfterStep (development snapshot).  The system is
quite responsive, in fact.

It sounds to me like it's probably either a kernel or window manager
issue (depending upon whether programs really stop responding, or just
appear so).  I'd suggest trying it under a different window manager,
and/or falling back to a 2.2.x kernel.  That should (hopefully) at least
point you to where the problem actually lives. ;-)

Good luck!