weird xmms behavior

I'm running potato, kernel v2.3.18, gnome, and enlightenment cvs.  I'm using
xmms for potato.  When I start a track in xmms all other programs stop
responding, when I stop xmms, everything I tried to do ex. start apps,
minimize or maximize windows, happens and everything works properly again.
I tried making xmms setuid root, and even tried the cvs version of xmms with
the same results.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.