Re: Slink to Potato

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 09:58:59AM -0700, longship@keyway.net wrote:
> Rob,
>
> I'm no apt expert.  Would you write up a section on Apt for a Debian
> Update HowTo?  I will voluteer to edit and put it together as well
> as providing content.  If need be, I will even host it on my server.
>
> The HowTo would include lists of packages and the techniques
> on how to bring the latest version of applications to the current
> Stable Debian release.

Yeah, I guess I could do something like that --- though I don't
guarantee quality or punctuality, since I have a pretty heavy
courseload this semester.  That's why I'm not volunteering already
<annoying smiley here>.

Here's an idea for the out-of-dateness question: what if new major
revisions of software (like LyX going from 0.4 to 1.0, or,
hypothetically, Netscape going to version 5) were included in the
proposed-updates section and incorporated into the next stable
r-release (which I think will be Debian 2.0r4 or something like that.
Library dependencies and such could be resolved (or at least
stablized) in the same way that they are for security issues.  This
seems like a fair way to include newly-added functionality to the
stable release without having to change Debian's whole release cycle.
Any comments?

Rob

--
Time and tide wait for no man.