Re: make-kpkg questions

You should be able to achieve what you want by editing
/usr/share/kernel-package/rules and the various preinst, postinst,
prerm and postrm scripts.  Also see 'man kernel-pkg.conf' for
a way to put vmlinuz in /boot instead of /.

It sounds like it may be easier to let it install per the defaults and
then run a script which renames the files (and edits lilo.conf).