Re: partition this thing!

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 11:02:18PM +0300, tf wrote
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm about to install on or move to a new hd, and I'd like to divide it
> up.  I've read faqs and howtos, but I can't help thinking that if I
> partition it by "feel", I'd just end up wasting alot of space.
>
> Ok, the drive's in another machine right now.  reading it's case, it has
> 6448.6 mb.
>
> This is my first try at more than swap and /.    tiny /boot, giant
> /home, right?  Anyone feel like helping?
> --

If you're the only user, then
/dev/hda1    /boot  5M
/dev/hda2    swap   128M
/dev/hda4    /      lots

should be pretty safe; I think you will hit ext2's size
limit on a drive this size but there's no harm in leaving a
few gig unused, for when you figure out how you *really*
want it partitioned - it gives you somewhere to move things
to while you re-size other partitions.

If the machine is multi-user, it would be a *very* good
idea to have a separate partition for /home - how big
depends on how much you want to give over to users.

If you want to run a news server, squid, or keep lots of
logs you should put /var (or at least, the busy parts) onto
a suitably-sized separate partition to avoid exhausting
space on /.  Putting /tmp on a separate partition may also
be a good idea for the same reason, if you have apps that
place heavy demands on /tmp (or foolish/malicious users).
1G should be more than enough for /usr on most
workstations, but if you're the kind who install
*everything* to find out what's there, 2-3G may be
necessary.

Someone else posted that using a separate partition for
/tmp is a security hole if you have users who can pass boot
parameters to LILO - I wouldn't worry about it too much, as
if you are in that position on a workstation booting off a
local disk then you have no meaningful security with
respect to those users anyway.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au