Re: partition this thing!

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 09:26:29AM -0700, Kenneth Scharf wrote

> On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 09:17:09PM -0400, Chris Ruvolo
> wrote:
> > At 11:02 PM 9/26/99 +0300, you wrote:
> > >This is my first try at more than swap and /.
> tiny /boot, giant
> > >/home, right?  Anyone feel like helping?
> >
> > I don't think a separate partition for /boot would
> be a good idea.
> /boot
> > is the default location for the kernel.  Having the
> kernel and init
> > (usually /sbin) on different partitions is probably
> bad.  I don't see
> how
> > that would work unless you mounted them both on the
> first pass (could
> take
> > some mucking around in your startup scripts, and
> generally not a good
> idea).
>
> >Chris, would you please go into this? I have a
> >seperate 30meg /boot
> >partition at the start of my drive to ensure that
> lilo >will ALWAYS be
> >able
> >to see my entire kernel. I have only booted the
> >machine six or seven
> >times
> >(love linux! :) and haven't had any trouble yet, but
> I >don't need to
> >get
> >into trouble due to this... :)
>
> having the kernel on a separtate small partition at
> the begining of the disk is a standard way to insure
> that the bios and lilo will be able to load the kernel
> even though the disk is larger than 1024 cylinders.
> This is the method that Redhat recommends in their
> install instructions.  I did this on an old machine
> with a large disk drive and also on a new machine with
> a modern bios and a 17.2 gb drive.  No problems.  In
> my case I had a 50mb "/boot".  The only problem is

I use 5Mb for /boot; it's always been big enough so far...

> that by default debian puts a simlink in / to the
> kernel in /boot and refers to the simlink in lilo.conf
> (which defeats the whole idea!)  So I added a simlink
> in /boot to the real image (ie:
> /boot/vmlinuz->/boot/linux.2.0.36) and changed the
> image reference in lilo.conf to /boot/vmlinuz.  Which
> BTW is how RedHat does it by default.  Just make sure
> that /boot is listed in /etc/fstab.

Using the symlink in / is harmless; LILO is interested in
the location on the disk of the kernel itself rather than
the directory entry you use to refer to it.  So long as the
symlink points to a kernel stored in the first 1024
cylinders, the symlink itself may be anywhere (even on a
floppy, ramdisk or NFS volume, although I haven't tried
it); it is not used at boot time.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au