Re: Printing restart (lpr)

on Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:
> My printer is an HP DJ870.  I use lpr, have not made the change to
> lprng.  When I have a long queue, as well as perhaps for other
> reasons, the output stream goes garbage, perhaps skips some bytes.
> I have tried turning off the printer, deleting jobs, but cannot get
> back normal output from the printer.  A single postscript file will
> output a stream of one or half, or less, of one line at the top of
> each page, like postscript has been aliased to garbage.  Nothing I can
> do seems to make it right, unless I reboot.
>
> Is there any sequence of steps that will enable me to cleanly recover
> to a known state between printer and spooler?  I'd rather not lose a
> job.
>
> Debian rocks.
>

> Alan Davis
>
> --
> adavis@netpci.com
>
> "A non-viscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
> for one non-existent."            ---Lord Raleigh
>

> --

hiho,

ok,  you could try "/etc/init.d/lpr restart" if the lpr-skript support restart.
(don't know, i use lprng). you can kill lpr manually and start it again. but
these are no solutions, IMHO. first you need a stable connection between the
printer and the computer.  did you play with bios-settings for the parallel
port or with tunelp for the lp-device ?

ciao -ap

btw: i switched to lprng, because lpr + magicfilter + epson stylus color = no
way or printing garbage. the reason is unknown. with lprng no problems so far.

 Andreas Piesk   a.piesk@gmx.net
 pgp fingerprint: 23CB A7E2 2E53 373C  DBCD 8EFC 7777 61C1