Re: Tripp Lite UPS

markzimm@rmi.net wrote:

> I have a Tripp Lite Internet Office 500 UPS and I want to set up a power
> monitoring daemon. Tripp Lite has an rpm package (no source)
[cut]
> In partucular, I'd like to know if anyone has tried their software

Sorry, I have not.
>                                                                    and also
> the more generic UPS packages like genpower.

I have 4 CyberPower UPSes, and have packaged powstatd which
supports them in dumb mode out-of-the-box.  I installed genpower
prior to packaging powstatd.  I learned a lot about the inner
working of init from its docs, and almost got it working (I could
monitor and shutdown correctly, but I never got it to kill the
UPS).

I also tried a few other packages.  In particular, `upsd'
installs itself _completely_ and assumes you have an APC UPS.  It
mistakingly read the serial port from my UPS as _battery low_ and
shutdown the system.  I had to reboot in single-user mode,
remount / read-write and remove the package to be able to boot up
correctly...  Ouch.

If you want, you can try powstatd.  It's quick and easy to setup
and you might be lucky.  I made a slink package and it's
available at:

 ftp://dollar.biz.uiowa.edu/pub/segre/powstatd_1.3-0slink1_i386.deb

Section: admin
Installed-Size: 60
Maintainer: Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
Version: 1.2-0slink1
Provides: ups-monitor
Depends: libc6
Conflicts: ups-monitor
Conffiles:
 /etc/powstatd.conf f61464fb9afb2ee6becb581834fcccd5
 /etc/init.d/powstatd 3507245097b6635e400ae7fe64d14e74
 /etc/init.d/powerfail 90decc5b0e2767f40302b2f8d71dba8a
 Assuming you have a relay-based "dumb" UPS that corresponds with your
 machine via a serial connection, you should be able to configure
 powstatd in just a few minutes. Powstatd is known to run with a
 variety of Cyberpower UPS supplies (Power99 325VA, 400VA, 500VA and
 720VA, Power2000 1500VA, and some older 385VA and 450VA models) and
 various older APC units.  Powstatd is easily configured, and can be
 expected to support most "dumb" UPS supplies.
 .
 Powstatd can also be configured to allow a master machine to control
 (Via a network connection) up to 2 (by default) additional slave
 machines connected to the same UPS. This allows you to run several
 machines off the same UPS, with only one of the machines actually
 reading the UPS status over the serial line.

If you end up with a working /etc/powstatd.conf, send it to me
along with the exact make and model of the UPS and I'll add it to
the examples.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada