Re: dhcpcd error "sendto (init): Operation not permitted"

> Hello all..
>
> I have a slink box up and running pretty well with the exception of
> dhcp.  The purpose of this box is to act as a masquerader / gateway between
> our lan and our cable modem.
>
> I originally thought it might be a hardware problem, but I was able to
> switch which NIC was configured for our lan without any problem.  In the
> process I found that I could make the error appear with eth0 or eth1.  I
> also upgraded to the potato version of dhcpcd, but that didn't help either.
>
> I was able to find a bug listed with the Debian bug tracking system that
> mentions this error.  The author claims it is a problem with pcmcia and
> ipmasq.  However, this machine has no pcmcia devices or controller (not a
> laptop).  The solution given is to "recompile kernel without IP masq,"
> which is not really an option for this machine.  That bug can be found at:
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/36/36746.html
>
> The only other thing I can think of is try to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.x,
> but that brings in some other problems, and I am totally unsure if it will
> work.

I can think of a couple others:
 * dhcpcd may not like more than one ethernet interface under Linux.  Try
   taking out one of the ethernet cards and see if that works.
 * Wrong DHCP client?  I've been using ISC's DHCP client under kernel
   2.2.12 for two weeks now without any trouble.  I wouldn't try to use
   the dhclient included with slink (too old), but rather the 2.0 release
   from http://www.isc.org, and compile your own.  I can provide my
   configuration file, as well as a binary (and needed scripts) compiled
   for a 2.0 kernel on slink, if that will help.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein