Re: `ping', and name resolution in general, hangs

On 26 Sep 1999, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my system?  At first I assumed it
> was a bug in the resolver library, and opened a bug against libc6 in
> Debian potato (http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/45/45912.html); but the
> Debian libc6 maintainer is sure that my system is merely
> misconfigured.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> When I type `ping blarg.net' at a shell, `ping' hangs.  I expect it to display
>
>         PING blarg.net (206.124.128.1): 56 data bytes
>         64 bytes from 206.124.128.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=62 time=25.7 ms
>
> Other name resolution also fails.  For example, Netscape hangs when
> trying to visit web pages on machines other than mine.
>
> On the other hand, if I type `ping 206.124.128.1', that works fine.
> So I know that IP and the network card aren't entirely broken.
>
> I've never sat around and waited to see if `ping' eventually gets
> unstuck; I've always given up and hit control-C after no more than
> perhaps a minute.

This part I can sort of help you with.  The hang is because ping is
trying to resolve the host name.  It will time out in about 90 seconds
if I remember right.  (I know, it seams a LOT longer then that.)
Make sure your /etc/resolv.conf points to the correct name servers,
and if you are not running a local name server, make sure you list
any hosts on your local network in /etc/hosts.  Also check that your
/etc/hosts.conf file is correct.  It should say something like:

order hosts, bind

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction...

Mikkel