Re: `ping', and name resolution in general, hangs

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my system?  At first I assumed it
> was a bug in the resolver library, and opened a bug against libc6 in
> Debian potato (http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/45/45912.html); but the
> Debian libc6 maintainer is sure that my system is merely
> misconfigured.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> When I type `ping blarg.net' at a shell, `ping' hangs.  I expect it to display
>
>         PING blarg.net (206.124.128.1): 56 data bytes
>         64 bytes from 206.124.128.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=62 time=25.7 ms
>
> Other name resolution also fails.  For example, Netscape hangs when
> trying to visit web pages on machines other than mine.

Hope this will help:  I just got bit by it on a Solaris install...

/etc/nsswitch.conf

See the attachment.... it works on my linux (and the Solaris) install.

Gerry
--
Gerry Creager                        |      Never ascribe to Malice that
Mapping Sciences Laboratory          |      which can adequately be
Texas A&M University                 |      explained by Stupidity.
409.845.7201  (Phone)                |      -- Lazerus Long
409.845.2273  (Fax)
409.228.7686  (Pager)  --or-- 4092287686@mobile.att.net
#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#	nisplus or nis+		Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#	nis or yp		Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#	dns			Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#	files			Use the local files
#	db			Use the local database (.db) files
#	compat			Use NIS on compat mode
#	[NOTFOUND=return]	Stop searching if not found so far
#

# To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
# looked up first in the databases
#
# Example:
#passwd:    db files nisplus nis
#shadow:    db files nisplus nis
#group:     db files nisplus nis

passwd:     files nisplus nis
shadow:     files nisplus nis
group:      files nisplus nis

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files nisplus nis dns

services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

netgroup:   nisplus

publickey:  nisplus

automount:  files nisplus
aliases:    files nisplus