Re: `ping', and name resolution in general, hangs

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 09:58:48AM -0700, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> Now, here's the kicker: the problem goes away if I run `tcpdump': I do
>
>        tcpdump &
>        ping blarg.net
>
> and `ping' responds correctly.  I can then kill `tcpdump', and until
> the next time I boot, the network works fine.  It's as if `tcpdump'
> changed something, and that change allows name resolution to work.

Eric, the one change that tcpdump does is send your network card into
promiscuous mode. I would imagine that linux would learn more about the
network and is willing to figure things out more on its own.

You might want to see if unconfiguring the cisco as dhcp server fixes
anything. Your cisco might not be happy about talking to a client that
supplies its own IP address. <shrug>

just some thoughts, not much.

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!