Re: shutting down X

*- On 26 Sep, Salman Ahmed wrote about "shutting down X"

> I use WDM (WINGs Display Manager) instead of xdm to manage
> X on my slink box. I have noticed this weird thing when
> shutting down or rebooting my system.
>
> After I enter shutdown/poweroff/reboot, the X server is
> terminated but then I am 'dumped' back to the first virtual
> console (tty1). I don't see any of the messages like :
>
>  shutting down XXX
>  shutting down YYY
>  shutting down ZZZ
>  sending HUP siganl to all processes
>  sending KILL signal to all processes
>
> However, if I immediately press Ctrl+Alt+F7 right after
> getting dumped to the first VC, I do see these messages.
>
> My question is : why is this not happening be default so
> that whenever I shutdown/poweroff/reboot the system I should
> see these termination messages ??
>
> Is this syslog configuration issue or a WDM configuration
> issue ?
>
> I was used seeing this output from RedHat when it shutdown
> and it didn't require any configuration tweaking.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Look in your /etc/syslog.conf for output to a different tty.  I used to
use one of the following and had similiar results, I have since
commented them out.

#daemon,mail.*;\
#       news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
#       *.=debug;*.=info;\
#       *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty8
#daemon.*;mail.*;\
#       news.crit;news.err;news.notice;\
#       *.=debug;*.=info;\
#       *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/console

/dev/console is the currently active console.  See 'man console' and
'man syslog.conf' for more info.

--
Brian