Re: fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed

> > # telnet localhost 25
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
> >
> > This doesn't look too good does it???
>
> Hmm, are you perhaps using tcp_wrappers to control what inetd launches?
> If so, check /etc/hosts.allow and see if you have something like the
> following line:
> ALL: LOCAL <your IP class / subnet>
> In case, restart inetd (kill -HUP <inetd PID>) and try to telnet to
> localhost again.

Well my /etc/hosts.allow didn't have any lines in it so I added
  ALL: LOCAL 192.168.1.255
then did "/etc/init.d/netbase restart" and everything now works.  So
thank you!

I must confess though, it seems a bit like black magic as I really
don't understand what went wrong or what I did to fix it.  I've never
touched the /etc/hosts.allow file before, and exim has worked fine.
What changed that?  And what are tcp_wrappers and how do I know if I'm
using them?

Thanks again,

Mark.