sblive skips?

One of the things I like when I first installed on my system (PII 400,
everything scsi, 128mb ram) was that I could play mp3's and they would
never skip when I was doing stuff in the background.  That was back when
I had a SB AWE64gold... since then I have moved that to a different
machine and installed a sblive.  Now the sounds skips every now and
then... I know for sure that xearth makes is skip when it refreshes.
Does anyone know why this is?  Is the system priortizing its self
differently?  Is it because I went from an ISA to a PCI sound card?
This is really starting to annoy me, especially because this was one of
my big complaints about windows.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu