Apache 1.3.9-7: where's the manpages?

I just got through upgrading apache-doc, apache-common, and apache, all
to version 1.3.9-7 (latest from unstable).

I don't seem to see the manpages I would have expected.  'man apache'
and 'man apachectl', in particular, don't seem to turn anything up.  Has
anyone else upgraded apache, and do you see your manpages, or have they
been moved somewhere and no one thought to tell me?  :-)  Needless to
say, having only the HTML docs is a bit inconvenient when your httpd
server won't start!

Like I say, when I tried starting apache, it wouldn't start, and there
was nothing in the log files (/var/log/apache/error.log).  Is there
somewhere else error messages go in the case of severe errors where, for
some reason, apache can't open the normal ones?  (I since solved my
problem (missing Apache perl module), but it would be nice to know).
Used to be, there was an option to let you start apache non-detached,
but I don't see that option when I do 'apache -h'.