apt-get: Error reading from server

Hi,

I just got
   apt 0.3.11 for i386 compiled on Aug 12 1999  00:53:49
for slink, and tried to use the cool new "build from source" capability.

The relevant line in /etc/apt/sources.list is
   deb-src http://www.debian.org/debian unstable main

But I just get

| # apt-get update
| Get:1 http://www.debian.org unstable/main Sources [284kB]
| Err http://www.debian.org unstable/main Sources
|   Error reading from server - read (104 Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner zurückgesetzt)
| Ign http://www.debian.org unstable/main Release
| Reading Package Lists... Done
| Building Dependency Tree... Done
| E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

(in english, error 104 is "connection reset by peer", AFAIR)

apt is happily downloading the package list until 99% before.

The following is then a direct result of the error above:

| # apt-get --compile source gnupg
| Reading Package Lists... Done
| Building Dependency Tree... Done
| E: Could not open file /var/state/apt/lists/www.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_source_Sources - open (2 Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)

(error 2 translates to "file or directory not found")

When using a line like
   deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main,
gzip get an unexpected EOF at stdin, and apt tells me that my disk
may be full (it isn´t, 45 MB free) or the permissions are wrong at
the directory (sorry, don´t have the verbatim messages now).

About the permissions:
| $  ls -ld /var/state/apt/lists/
| drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         5120 Sep 20 18:14 /var/state/apt/lists/

It can write the lock file etc. here, so I think this is correct too.

I have no /etc/apt/apt.conf file; $http_proxy and $ftp_proxy are
pointing to localhost:8080, where wwwoffle is sitting.

I really have no clue where to debug next, and the experiments are
getting expensive with German phone rates.

TIA,
  Colin

--
Colin Marquardt <colin.marquardt@gmx.de>