Re: manual use of e2fsck to repair dev/hdbx

on 19 Sep 99, Oliver Elphick wrote...

>My normal approach to this is to run fsck with the -y option, to let it
>answer yes to all questions; alternatively, you can answer its questions
>one at a time yourself: just say yes every time, because the alternative
>is correcting the disk with a binary editor, which is almost certainly
>not possible for you.  I know I wouldn't want to try!
>
>After this process, you may find some disconnected files in the partition's
>/lost+found directory.  You will have to examine these to try and work
>out where they came from.
>
>If you end up with any files whose permissions are insane and which cannot
>be deleted, you will have to give up and recreate the partition.

This in response to my cry for help. Daniel Faller and Mark Brown also
replied basically on the same lines. Many thanks to you all.

When I thought I understood your advice, I did  '# fsck -y /dev/hdbxx' and
as I'm sure you anticipated the repair was effected without difficulty. Booting
is now normal and I have no 'dicky' files. This is a relief - (for senior
citizens
like me each problem comes as another first-time 'catastrophe' and seems
insoluble).

My /usr filesystem was also file-checked (I think in the normal routine
manner). I haven't seen any reference yet to, the basis on which this is
done, the 'maximal' referred to, and how and where is it set.

My gratitude and regards,
John.