Re: manual use of e2fsck to repair dev/hdbx

John wrote:
  >Am a newbie thinking things were going quite well, when my psu cut out whils
  >booting
  >(this I do from a floppy). After changing the psu, booting gets only to dev/
      >hdbx
  >(which
  >contains the root filesystem), and presents error messages saying 'contains
  >filesystem
  >with errors', 'unattached inode 17870', 'unexpected inconsistency - run fsck
  >manually
  >Remounting read-write using the commands given results in a warning recommen
      >ding
  >running e2fsck, and showing the following errors which I do not understand a
      >nd
  >cannot
  >deal with (Ihave a copy of the e2fsck manual page, but nothing seems relevan
      >t):-

My normal approach to this is to run fsck with the -y option, to let it
answer yes to all questions; alternatively, you can answer its questions
one at a time yourself: just say yes every time, because the alternative
is correcting the disk with a binary editor, which is almost certainly
not possible for you.  I know I wouldn't want to try!

After this process, you may find some disconnected files in the partition's
/lost+found directory.  You will have to examine these to try and work
out where they came from.

If you end up with any files whose permissions are insane and which cannot
be deleted, you will have to give up and recreate the partition.

--
      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
     "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that