Re: tailing rotating log files

*- On 19 Sep, Jim B wrote about "Re: tailing rotating log files"
> Brad: thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.
>
> The version of tail included with "slink" does not have this functionality.
> What would be the recommended means of upgrading?
>
> a) obtain gnu source and compile?  This would work but would mean I would
> have to play games with dpkg (perhaps using equivs) in order to make it
> think I've upgraded the package.
>
> b) get potato source deb and make an slink package, which should take care
> of dpkg's concerns.
>
> c) other methods?
>
> "b" sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how to do it at the moment,
> never built a dpkg package before (I will figure it out).  BUT -- I can't
> find any source debs on ftp.us.debian.org.  Where should I be looking?  I
> see source tarballs and that's it... is this what I should use to build the
> package?  I always thought there was something like the "source rpm" concept
> in .deb format, where the package is all laid out and just needs to be
> re-compiled and re-packaged.

The source packages come in .tar.gz, .diff and .dsc.(no diff if it is a
native Debian program)

The easiest way is to get the apt v 0.3.11 from
http://www.debian.org/~jgg and add the following to your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free

Then cd to some directory like /usr/local/src and issue the following

apt-get update
apt-get --compile source textutils

This will download and compile the textutils package from potato using
your currenlty installed libs.  You will need to have the libc6-dev
package from slink installed and maybe others if the build fails.
There are not source Depends yet.  When you are done you will have a
new slink based textutils Debian package ready to install.

--
Brian