Re: 17.2 gb drive

On Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 09:35:24AM -0700, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> I know that many recommend using multiple partitions.  But if you have
> no idea about how large /usr, /home, need to be it's hard to guess how
> many partitions and how large each should be.

You hit the spot!
My manner is quite weird: I installed one partition, then worked a bit
with it; then I made a ration of each future separe partition (plus for
/home (mails!)), anf then I reinstalled on multiple partitions.

> Also I think that the
> idea of many partitons made sense when disks were smaller.

No, definitely: if you have criticals information files, you divide
the loosing risk with multiple partitions.

> So where does fdisk get it's idea of disk size and layout?

Did you tryied to setup the bios as USER with the parms that
fdisk gave you?
Did you put 'linear' in /etc/lilo.conf?

Also, I have W$ on /dev/hda (linux is on /dev/hdc), W$ use to
rewrite my bios HDs parms (!!?), so I was oblige to leave them
in AUTO HD setup.

> Again the disk never left the computer.  Also it does boot just fine
> now, I'm worried that my partition layout id flawed and will eventually
> fail.

I remember that on first installation I made partitions with the W$ fdisk,
as it is a crap, I had the same type of errors (last sector further than
end of partition).

Hope it can help you.

JY