startx (after upgrade) dials modem before running X

Greetings:

After upgrading some X-window packages last night I cannot start X without
waiting for the modem to dial out and connect. It seems to be doing a name
lookup since, if I get back out of X and hang up the modem and then do a
startx immediately, there is no dial-out since the name lookup is still
cached. A few hours later, though, the problem is back. The packages that
updated last night were mostly fonts, but xbase-clients updated also.

I am running slink, and my X packages come fronm:

deb http://samosa.debian.org/~branden/ xfree86-334-slink/

Has anyone else seen this?  Any ideas on how to stop it?

-- Mark Zimmerman