Re: startx (after upgrade) dials modem before running X (fixed)

In case anyone os interested, the problem turned out to be some spurious
entries in my .Xauthority file.  While poking around looking for the cause
of the dialout, I did a 'xauth list' and got back about a dozen lines
of stuff, including some entries for 192.168.0.1, which doesn't exist on my
network. Apparently there was an attempt at a reverse name lookup for it.

In any event, deleting the .Xauthority file took care of it. I don't know
where all of the other entries came from -- I have been using X on one
platform or another for about 10 years and I recall seeing this once, and
only once before and I didn't understand it then either.