X problem (slink + SiS 530)

Hi, all,

     I'm having a problem getting X running on my home system.  It's a
relatively new sytem with a SiS 530 (onboard Sis 6326AGP), running slink.
The version of X is 3.3.3.1-2 (Xserver-SVGA), the Xserver started,
but the screen was garbled.  I could stop the server using ctrl-alt-bs.
I checked the xfree86.org site, which said that the 3.3.5 supports the
SiS 530.  I tried downloading the Xserver-SVGA only, and installing it.
This xserver starts with a root window, but I can't do anything (not
even switch virtual terminals or kill the X server).

   I captured the output from startx, which ends thusly...

System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm -m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86 compiled/xfree86.xkm'

   I assume that the problem is in with the keyboard, not the server.
What other files do I need to install and what steps need to be taken to
resolve this problem?

-Chris

--
|   Christopher D. Judd, Ph.D.                                           |