PCMCIA (?) Ethernet problem

 I'm installing Debian 2.1 onto a Zenith "Z*Star EX", a 486/50MHz
laptop w/8MB RAM and a 300MB HD. I'm using a Xircom AdapterIIps
Ethernet card (which claims to be supported by pcmcia-cs). The
PCMCIA stuff seems to be loading the "xirc2ps_cs" module (or
something very like that) and ifconfig reports what look to be
sane values. It's putting it on IRQ 3 at port 0x300.

 Sadly, I can't actually get the little sucker to talk to my
main machine. The laptop is named "sting" and my desktop is
"grayswandir". I can't seem to ping between them or anything.

 On sting, I've run:

 ifconfig eth0 192.168.20.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
 route add -net 192.168.20.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

 ...and I've set up /etc/hosts and so forth. I've done the
complementary setup on grayswandir (which is 192.168.20.1). Yet,
the poor guys can't talk to each other. I've tried both Ethernet
cards on grayswandir (a 3Com 3c509 and a TI Thunderlan), and I've
tried both PCMCIA slots on sting.

 I'm not using a hub; I'm using a crossover cable (which has worked
before, on other machines).

 One interesting thing; when I run ifconfig after pinging, I get
fewer TX packets than ping says it transmitted; often I get nonzero
"carrier:" values. I get zero RX packets. Both sides seem to be
logging interrupts in /proc/interrupts.

 I'm not a total doofus; I got grayswandir and "frakir", an old 486
desktop, to network before (both using 3c509 cards and 10base2). I
can't see where I've done anything terribly different here. I know
both cards in grayswandir actually do work in 10baseT mode.

 Any ideas?

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

          If you have any trouble sounding condescending,
            find a Unix user to show you how it's done.
                -- Scott Adams: DNRC Newsletter 3.0