Problem mounting custom boot disk

Last night I compiled a new kernel and had it sent to a boot floppy instead of the hard drive (using the standard Debian tools for compiling a new kernel). Booting from the floppy is fine. However, I'd like to mount the floppy and get the kernel image off of it, move it to /boot, and then re-configure LILO to run it.

I've tried multiple variations of mount: -t vfat, -t msdos, and nothing at all (i.e., ext2). Each time I get a message that I have either chosen the wrong file system, or a couple other problems.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Dave