Re: word not so perfect

Art Lemasters wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 12:02:18PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > Ashley Clark wrote:

> > > That's odd, it does on mine (sometimes). I've downloaded several
> > > items, usually of the form blahblah.txt.gz with Netscape and it then
> > > views them for me, uncompressed, in a browser window. Trying to save
> > > them also decompresses them. I just tried it, ghoti.org/~aclark,
> > > there's only one gz file there.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ashley Clark
> >
> > I have to go with Ashley on this one. Sometimes (but not always, IIRC),
> > a download via Netscape has resulted in a file that I can't gunzip, even
> > though it still has the .gz name. However if I assume it's already
> > gunzipped, everything works normally.
> >
>      Yes and no.  The answer is in your Netscape "Edit," "Preferences,"
> "Navigator," "Applications" configuration.  At a guess, I would say that
> Netscape does not decompress anything, but it can call Linux decompression
> programs to do so if that is your desire.

	This has come up before.  In addition to the "Applications"
config, there is also the "encodingFilters" Netscape X resource,
that you might want to play with.  I have entries in the
"Applications" config for tar.gz files and I removed the gzip
entries from "encodingFilters".  I have not since seen NS
uncompress any '.gz' file on me.  It always gives me a "Save as
..." prompt for these things.

--
Ed C.