Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:43:22 -0500
From: del23@shadow.net
To: hugo@debian.org, clameter@debian.org, davecb@hobbes.ss.org
Subject: SSMTP Information

Dear ssmtp developers,

I am a debian user who has been trying to get mutt+smail to work
together, so I could send mail through my ISP's smtp box. I only have
a dialup connection, so I would usually use pine or netscape mail
(along with fetchmail) to send and recieve my email. It was not until I
tried to setup mutt that I ran into the need to setup my debian box's
email mta. Since mutt is not an smtp aware client, and I didn't want
to deliever all outbound mail myself, I had to configure smail to send
all outbound mail to my ISP's smtp box.

Never having configured an mta before, I spent the next 3 days looking
through docs and could not find any working information about a proper
smail configuration for sending all outbound mail through my ISP. I
did come across a configuration in the debian faq'o'matic but it did
not work. I continued to get SMTP 501 errors.

I had just about given up until someone on the debian irc server told
me about your ssmtp package. And much to my suprise it is exactly what
I needed for my current setup/net-connection. I suspect there are many
people out there just like me using Debian who would like to use a
non-smtp aware email client such as mutt, who would greatly appreciate
knowing about ssmtp. Since most people are connect to the internet via a
dialup account, and there are more and more debian users everyday who
have very little unix experience, I believe if you made your package
known to the general public via some faq, or if you placed it in the
debian install manual, or if you placed an entry about it in the
debian faq'o'matic, it would greatly help out individuals who wish to
use MUAs like mutt and not have to rely on non-free software or large
clients like emacs for doing their email. Therefore, since most people
don't need a full blown email mta, your package meets the needs of many
people out there. So please consider placing an entry in the
mail-HOWTO, or any other relavent HOWTO, or faq about your package.

As for myself, when ever I see someone with a similar problem on the
news groups or irc, now I can point them to your package.

thank you for coding ssmtp,
Don Llopis