Re: compiling kernel for floppy boot

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 03:31:50PM -0500, David Kanter wrote:
> I'm having the opposite problem: I can't get my kernel onto the hard drive!
>
> When compiled a kernel last night, using the packaging you mentioned, I was left with my own "custom" .deb file. When I ran dpkg on it, I was given the option to create a boot floppy. I'm not sure why you didn't get this message.
>
> I already have a boot manager, so I don't want LILO to overwrite the mbr on hda, which I think it does by default.

I don't know either, but you can check that in /etc/lilo.conf.  If the
boot variable is set to a disk (e.g. /dev/sda) then it'll overwrite the
MBR.  If it's set to a partition like /dev/sda1 then it'll go to that
partition and leave the MBR intact.

> Dave

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way you can compile a kernel into a debian package and have that kernel boot from the floppy?
>
> I normally compile my kernels with make-kpkg but the package it makes installs onto the hardrive.  I want to do the same thing but place the 'new' kernel on a floppy rather than alter my stable setup on the harddisk.
>
> Its a pity make-kpkg doesn't ask you where to install the new kernel to!

All you should do is find the kernel (it should be in
/usr/src/linux/vmlinux) and do:
gzip -9 < /usr/src/linux/vmlinux > /dev/fd0

Good luck.

--

    Dejan Muhamedagic
    UNIX and Linux Support

   Quant-X Service &                         Ph:  (+43) 4212 90555-0
   Consulting Ges.m.b.H.                     Fax: (+43) 4212 90555-20
   http://www.quant-x.com                    Email: support@quant-x.com