Re: compiling kernel for floppy boot

I'm having the opposite problem: I can't get my kernel onto the hard drive!

When compiled a kernel last night, using the packaging you mentioned, I was left with my own "custom" .deb file. When I ran dpkg on it, I was given the option to create a boot floppy. I'm not sure why you didn't get this message.

I already have a boot manager, so I don't want LILO to overwrite the mbr on hda, which I think it does by default.

Dave

>>> Steve George <steve@blah.dircon.co.uk> 9/14/99 2:06:56 PM >>>
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way you can compile a kernel into a debian package and have that kernel boot from the floppy?

I normally compile my kernels with make-kpkg but the package it makes installs onto the hardrive.  I want to do the same thing but place the 'new' kernel on a floppy rather than alter my stable setup on the harddisk.

Its a pity make-kpkg doesn't ask you where to install the new kernel to!

Thanks,

Steve