Re: Uninstalling gnome

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 09:18:25AM -0500, David Kanter wrote:

[Please keep your lines under 80 characters - put line breaks within
paragraphs]
> What's the best way to uninstall gnome and its associated packages? I think all I downloaded was task-gnome-desktop, but I'm not sure. Should I let dselect remove this package? And will it remove all the dependencies?

Removing that package won't deinstall anything else.  You can look at
which packages it depends upon to see what else to deinstall (you'll
probably also have to look at those packages to find all the libs).

Alternatively, a BFI approach is to try to remove a core GNOME library
like libgnome and/or things like orbit and see what else dselect wants
to remove.

> Or, should I just change my .xsession to read "exec wmaker" instead of "exec gnome-session" and save myself the trouble? Will this throw my .xsession into a tizzy?

That won't cause any problems (assuming you have WindowMaker installed
:-) ) but it will leave the GNOME stuff lying around on disk.  You'll
need to do this anyway if you remove GNOME.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/