Uninstalling gnome

Gnome, after installing it this weekend, left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd prefer to use a straight-up window manager.

What's the best way to uninstall gnome and its associated packages? I think all I downloaded was task-gnome-desktop, but I'm not sure. Should I let dselect remove this package? And will it remove all the dependencies?

Or, should I just change my .xsession to read "exec wmaker" instead of "exec gnome-session" and save myself the trouble? Will this throw my .xsession into a tizzy?

Thanks,
Dave