Trouble with ALSA drivers w/ Debian

Hi,

I'm trying to install the alsa sound driver which came with my Debian 2.1 cdroms. Everything goes fine until dpkg starts the configuration part, then the program complains about not being able to make certain devices under /dev (the audio devices) because it's a read- only filesystem. My linux partition is mounted read-write, and my /dev directory has the necessary permissions (I think). Has anyone besides me ever run into this or know whats wrong?

Thanks,
Joseph Dunn