Re: @home connection

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Jon Hughes wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get Debian connected with the @home cable modem
> service?  My brother is going to soon be another Debian user and he's
> wondering how he will be able to connect.  Technically, @home doesn't
> support windows, but they are sending him the information they said should
> be able to get him connected.
>
> Any advice?  Thanks

Connecting through cable modem is much like connecting through a college
residence - use DHCP.  I would recommend that you (and he) download and
compile ISC DHCP rather than use the dhcpcd included in Debian.

Just be aware, though, that it's not a plug-and-play affair.  You need to
configure dhclient (the ISC DHCP client) with the parameters to request
from the DHCP server.  I don't have a sample configuration handy at the
moment; I can email you again tonight with the configuration if you like.

What also works is to figure out what IP the @home servers give you (by
using winipcfg.exe in Windows 9X/maybe NT) and use that as a static IP.
Several people in the local LUG use their cable modems that way.  I
don't know if that would work where you are, though.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien