Re: FDISK parameters was Re: undelete for partition tables?

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> > In the future, I would recommend saving the output of either...
> >
> > 1) Linux fdisk ==>> fdisk -l > part.txt    (this does all drives)
> > 2) Ranish PM   ==>> part -d 1 -p -r > part.txt  (for each drive)
>
>         Tom, or somebody, what version of fdisk do you have?  My copy
> (v2.9w on a full potato system) doesn't support the -l and -u
> options as they are described in the man page on my sys (and given
> by Tom's example above).  The -l option still requires the user to
> give an explicit device to operate on, and AFAICT the -u option
> doesn't work at all with the fdisk I have.
>
>         P.S., Ranish PM is only DOS right (ie, no Linux version)?
> --

I'm running slink right now which has fdisk v2.9g. I also have potato
installed elsewhere, and 'fdisk -l' also works there as far as I know.
By the way, that is a small L, not a one.

'fdisk -l' lists all partitions on all drives using cylinder values
'fdisk -l -u' lists all partitions on all drives using sector values
'fdisk -l /dev/hda' would list all partitions, but just on /dev/hda

Ranish Partition Manager is a DOS program, but is an excellent
partitioning tool. It's source code is available for download from the
web site. At one the time the author was planning on porting it over to
Linux....hasn't gotten to it yet.

Tom