FDISK parameters was Re: undelete for partition tables?

Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> > > Question: Was that possibly a Linux extended partition (type 85) as
> > > opposed to a DOS extnded partition? That would explain why DOS fdisk
> > > could delete it.
> >
> > Yes, originally this computer was set up by me with linux only.  It was my
> > colleague who starte messing with DOS fdisk.  (Strictly speaking win98
> > fdisk)
>
> OK, but if it was a Linux type 85 extended partition, you would not be
> able to access any Windows partitions inside of it *from* Win98. It
> wouldn't recognize it as an extended partition. Also Win98 can't boot
> from an extended/logical drive. It had to be installed on a primary that
> has been deleted.
>
> In the future, I would recommend saving the output of either...
>
> 1) Linux fdisk ==>> fdisk -l > part.txt    (this does all drives)
> 2) Ranish PM   ==>> part -d 1 -p -r > part.txt  (for each drive)

	Tom, or somebody, what version of fdisk do you have?  My copy
(v2.9w on a full potato system) doesn't support the -l and -u
options as they are described in the man page on my sys (and given
by Tom's example above).  The -l option still requires the user to
give an explicit device to operate on, and AFAICT the -u option
doesn't work at all with the fdisk I have.

	P.S., Ranish PM is only DOS right (ie, no Linux version)?
--
Ed "one in need of a clue" C.