Re: Suggestion for a WM on a slow machine

|> I have a slow machine (486, with 16 Mb of RAM) and I'm trying to
|> keep as faster as possible. Working in command line mode I've no
|> problem, but in X ...  So I'd like to know what's the better choice
|> for a window manager on a system like mine.  Now I'm using twm. Are
|> fvwm2 or BlackBox faster? Or what else?

I like asclassic. This is an old version of Afterstep---frozen at
around the version 1.2 level and maintained by Joseph Carter. This is
for people who (like me) find the newer window managers such as
Windowmaker, Enlightenment or more recent versions of Afterstep to be
too taken with eye-candy and too resource-hungry.

asclassic is not so hungry; it's fast, relatively light, and very easy
to configure (via the .steprc file in your home directory). It looks
good and has the core features you'd expect of a window manager.

You can find it in debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/x11/

Jim