Re: Linux checks only 8 chars of the password...

* Ben Collins said:

> > > login-password. I use a much longer password and would like my system to
> > > check everything of it. Is there a flag I can set that the whole
> > > password is verified?
> > Just take a look at the /etc/login.defs and read the description of the
> > MD5_CRYPT_ENAB. Setting this option to "on" makess the passwd suite use the
> > MD5 digest encryption algorithm which doesn't have the limitation of DES.
>
> Please note that in potato, the MD5 is enabled via the /etc/pam.d files
I was referring to the current state of stable/unstable. It uses shadowutils
package and that in turn uses /etc/login.defs

> (atleast after today it will be, once the new shadow is installed).
Hmm... is that mean that we're gonna switch to the same passwd suite as RH,
for example? Too bad... the current passwd has many useful switches (-l -u
being two of them...)

marek