Re: Wvdial for not-root access. How?

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:28:35PM -0700, Eric Zeller wrote:

> Here's my cheating way of allowing non-root users access to certain root
> programs.
>
> put a line in /etc/passwd that says something like
>
> halt:<passwdhere>:0:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
>
> The zero uid allows the login to be root, but instead of running a shell,
> it runs runs /sbin/halt and shuts down. (this particular line came from
> my wife's laptop).
>
> I've been meaning to ask people if this opens a security hole that I
> haven't thought about, I guess this is as good as time as any.
> (actually can you send responses to ezeller@ericzeller.com as I can't
> afford to read 100 messages a day on this list, I'll try and keep up on
> the archives also).

Welllll.... if you have pop-based email (or imap based email) or web-based
applications that require login authenitcation, then you are basically
giving out access to root's toys. Not everything that gives access to the
machine goes through the process of running the shell.

Of course, if your security needs are small, it might not be that big a
deal.