Re: How do you LOW FORMAT a hard drive

Guilherme grunted,

> > But you shouldn't ever low level format a hard drive.  It isn't necessary
> > any more since the 80's.

> More that that, it's REALLY dangerous to do so in new IDE drives (something to do
> with geometry parameters, if I'm not mistaken)...

I have an old one I'd like to try it on, but the bios doesn't do it.  I
stuck it in another machine briefly, and now it absolutely refuses to
work as a primary (but is just fine as a slave).  It's an old caviar
540 for the kids' machine.  Right now they have my machine, because
that machine can't boot from the slave (or even use it without a
primary present), nor can it recognize more than 1024 cylinders (or use
the alternate modes).  So it sees my 8g drive as a 540 or so :(  I
noticed the box on a new 20G at sam's club yesterday claimed it had
software to get around old bios's, but I'm not willing to pay $250 just
to get an old 486 running (the kids' stuff is almost all windows, so I
have to deal with bios problems :(

rick

> Now, how would I LOW FORMAT a floppy disk???

That should happen on a regular formatk, shouldn't it?  (the current command is "superformat")