Re: lpd: daemon not started.

On 12 Sep 1999, Justin Settle wrote:
> Hello,
> I can't seem to print anything out with lpd + magicfilter.  I can cat
> file out to the printer and I believe that magic filter is setup
> correctly.  The problem is that if I do a lpc status it says "no daemon
> present".  I do a lpc up all and it says daemon started but if a lpc
> status is done again it reply's no daemon is present.  lpr <filename>
> does nothing - the printer doesn't move and the file never appears in
> lpq.
>
> Any sugestions would be appreciated,
> Justin Settle

I also get "no daemon present" with this command but printing
nevertheless works. I think a second lpd daemon is spawned when you
start printing.

What happens with "ps ax"? This shows the lpd daemon to be present on my
system.

What does "lpq" show when you've tried to print a file?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux - Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)