Re: power-shut-off... again

I'd suggest that you check in your BIOS after exiting
Windows 95 but before booting into Linux, and verify
that APM is as you left it; another user found that
W95 was altering his BIOS settings to reflect control
panel settings, with the result that he got unexpected
power-off's in Linux.

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 08:57:51AM +0300, virtanen wrote

> Managed to get this damn machine working with debian quite long time.
> Even managed to get network working (ethernet).
>
> '1) Suddently again, while editing a picture using SO 5.1  the power went
> off.
>
> 2) While trying to boot again it gave the normal messages like 'not
> cleanly unmounted, check forced' etc. Then again sudden shut-off. This
> happened three times while trying to boot. The fourth time worked and it
> managed to check the partitions... Now it has been working again.
>
> 3)
> There isn't any overclocked CPU or anything like that.
> As far as I know this thing has never happened with this machine with
> windows.
> I put most bios settings as defaults. APM disabled as well as all shadow
> ram settings disabled. Power-button override disabled.
>
> Still don't know, where the problem is. Just waiting for the next
> shut-off...
>
> In my opinion it (shit) happens, when there is some large swapping going
> on.
> The machine has got atx-boxand automatic shut-off of the power, when
> shutting down windows.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au