Re: gnome panel... a few questions

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Aaron Solochek wrote:

> I have the panel starting in my windowmaker environment via
> (GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart) panel &.
> I also load the gen_util_applet and gmc the same way.
>
> Question 1) Very often when I load windowmaker it says there is already
> a panel running, and do I want to continue.  I can see that there is
> already a panel.  Saying no closes the existing panel.  Saying yes adds
> another gen_util_applet to it.  If I close the second panel, which has
> only the default buttons, both of the gen_util_applet's in my first
> panel close too.

Do you use the Exit Session in WindowMaker ? That saves all running
programs in a list, so panel will be started twice; one by WM and the
other by your own line. Do a Clear Session from the menu; that should be
enought.

> What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?  I'd like the panel to open
> with the gen_util_applet, and one gnome-icu in it.
>
> Question 2) I've looked around for this before, but never found
> anything.  I would like a way to set the omnipresent window attribute to
> false for gmc.  Currently it defaults to true, and that is annoying.

Right click on a window an select 'Attributes...'. That will let you into
a menu to set up several options of a window. Turn off omnipresent.

> Question 3)  I have manual placement of windows activated.  Is it
> possible to have some apps (eterm, gmc...) to ignore that, or rather to
> have windowmaker ignore certain apps?  My goal is to have an eterm and
> gmc autoopen when I startx, and not have to click the mouse to place
> them.

I really don't know, but you can use the -geometry parameter and pass it
to xterm / gmc to specify where do you like to be placed.

Bye!