Re: ide disks > 8.4gb

May as well get my 2 cents in on this thread, since I JUST got my Maxtor
17.2 GB disk working.

Asus P/I P55T2P4 mobo, iP133 CPU.

Linux Kernel 2.0.38, LILO v 0.21.

It was really difficult until I set the BIOS to "Normal" and NOT to LBA.
Both modes saw only 8.4 GB of disk, but different numbers of cylinders.
 The Normal mode got it right according to the label on the disk itself.
Also when I set it to LBA I was not able to boot off the bootable
partition.  Setting it to normal fixed that.

So, in short, I set the BIOS to Normal (which still only detected 8.4 GB)
and then followed the Hard Disk Upgrade HOW-TO suggestions wrt using a
floppy while transitioning between the two drives.  I don't think I would
have had a >1024 cylinder problem with this drive since LILO didn't give
me any warnings (and it's supposed to warn you if your bios can't boot
from >1024, according to /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz) but just to be on
the safe side I set up a 15 MB /boot partition anyway on /dev/hda1 and
made /dev/hda2 my root ("/") partition.

Works great.