Re: ide disks > 8.4gb

Hello!

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 09:14:46PM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Hello
>

> > Not true, two weeks ago I temporarily set up slink on WD 13GB. What you need
> > to know is the final cylinder. In my case, I partition it with windows first,
> > tha box come with windows. So I know the final cylinder, ie 1581. In
> > slink-fdisk, I use x then c to set cylinder to 1581.
> >
> > BTW, I used LBA mode in BIOS.
>
> LBA?  Quote from the /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Large-IDE.gz :
>   If the BIOS converts the 24-bit (c,h,s) to LBA and feeds that to a
>   controller that understands LBA, then again 7.875 GB is addressable.
>   Not enough for all disks, but still an improvement.
>
> Will 13GB work in LBA mode ?

I have a WD Expert 27.3 GB using LBA mode. I have a Tyan Tsunami
motherboard, and a Promise UltraDMA/66 controller. Debian Slink worked fine
once I patched a kernel for the Promise controller. It also detected the
whole capacity using the standard onboard controller and LBA mode. I am
using kernel 2.2.12.

Good Luck,

Alexis Maldonado
Disenos y Montajes S.A.

DYMSA - Disenos y Montajes S.A.
Tel. +(506) 227-5616   Fax. +(506) 227-5257

e-mail: dymsacr@racsa.co.cr

PO Box:  Apdo 171-2010 Zapote
         San Jose, Costa Rica

Address:  500 mts Sur de Rotonda de Zapote
          Edificio DYMSA
          San Jose, Costa Rica
          Central America