strange ethernet problem

Not really a Debian problem I confess. I have a strange problem with
ethernet between my notebook PC (which has an NE2000-clone PCMCIA ethernet
card) and my desktop (Realtek 8029 NE2K-PCI card).

Transfers when both ends are running Linux seem just fine.
Transfers when the notebook is running Windows are absolutely awful --
most of them never complete due to timeouts. HTTP or FTP, doesn't matter
(it shouldn't). Yet transfers to another linux box here, on the same
ethernet, to the notebook under Windows are just fine. It too has
an NE2K-PCI.

Any thoughts? It's most distressing.

Hamish
--